-{-_-}-

I love business strategy. It started at A-level, from then I began to set myself strategic challenges. This post will demonstrate a strategic challenge I set myself at University. I wondered how easy it would be to fundamentally change a product (segments and motivation for purchase) without changing the core product at all.


At the time of thinking this I was a bit of a Red Bull fiend so applied the question towards Red Bull UK in the form of a massively edited 15,000 word report(available upon request).

The idea I would like to share is a reactive flanker strategy for market share growth within the saturating energy drink market, increasingly under threat from sports drinks. It builds off the Ogilvy and Mather Lucozade messaging as the dominate sports drink brand “Lucozade = science + passion” developing Red Bull’s “extreme” messaging to “Energizing hydration anywhere”.

In order to do this the flanker strategy needed to penetrate the conventional sport market, developing away from the extreme motivation without damaging its current customer base.

The output was:



Without changing Red Bull’s ‘off the shelf’ offering Red Bull 50/50 is an instructional brand that sits on a sales promo vehicle. Giving away free sport bottles to dilute a Red Bull 250ml can with 250ml water (give it a go).



Even if you don’t like this solution the 50/50 brand would be alongside the equivalent of 25% of Red Bull’s inventory (in the UK) on sports bottles acting as an ambient media vehicle achieving the challenge: 


Categories:

Leave a Reply