-{-_-}-


It has been an incredibly long time since I’ve last blogged, let’s see if this post can get me back into the swing of things…..


A lot has been going on that has be awesome fun. This post follows on from some self reflection and a course that I’m currently on that’s allowing me to put a lot of thought into practice.


I’m three weeks into an Account Planning Group course that focuses on building the ‘leaders of tomorrow’.  The first week’s session was led by Mia Kennedy (Former Head of Planning at AMV turned expert Executive Coach, Trainer and Facilitator) who helped us to understand our natural strengths of which mine were (according to https://www.viame.org/survey/Account/Register, so obviously shouldn’t be taken too literally):


#1 Creativity

#2 Curiosity

#3 Gratitude

#4 Hope

#5 Bravery


….. how we can then leverage these core natural strengths to the best of our ability and understand others strengths in order to accompany them in the best possible way. From understanding this it helps you know where you stand among others and how you can develop yourself to become the best you can. The group that is part of these sessions is really good and has led to some really interesting conversations on from this first session.  


The second session was led by Alison Chadwick (Executive Coach and former Director of BBDO University) and her session built on from Mia’s in the sense that the discussion moved onto emotional intelligence. From the understanding of who we are, how we operate and can naturally develop ourselves, how this then influences others, how our different motivations drive us to behave and how we can adapt or at least be aware of how we can compliment these differences…… both were very thought provoking.

For the third meet up we are having a session on making the most of your creativity. In preparation for this we need to put an advertisement together for ourselves on one side of A3 paper.


….. This follows on nicely from self reflection and the past two sessions focusing on understanding yourself and others, as well as their perception of you.


I have always been pretty aware of what motivates me, how I live my life, what makes me happy and what I want to achieve so I found this to be an appealing challenge that made me want to blog about it. To think about it a bit more:


When I look back to my childhood and speak to my parents I was always a really happy child but never fit into the school system, I in-fact got tested for ADHD and hearing problems a fair few times. As my Dad said their rationale for why I never did what people asked me to do was probably because I couldn't hear them….. turned out I could hear fine, I just didn’t see why I had to do it.


Later on I must have realised the awkwardness I showed through the beginning of primary school wasn't going to get me anywhere, there was a reason I had to do it and changed the approach after my parents had repeatedly been told I was a ‘difficult child’. One of my school reports actually stated ‘Matthew is an anomaly’, which can’t be a good thing at 9 years old…… instead I must have understood that if I was seen to be the most well behaved child I could get away with a lot more, while still being myself (I realise this is making me sound pretty strange, but if you can’t be honest then what’s the point). This was probably due to all the things Alison’s was discussing around understanding how different people are and how you need to behave in order to have a happy relationship….. thankfully 9 year old me learnt that.


Something that collided nicely with learning this was going to Disney Land when I was 9 and Disney World when I was 11. My perception of what a good day was had changed, the parks inspired me even more than Disney programming had.    


From 11 I wanted to run The Walt Disney Company, I know this sounds like an odd childhood dream. It sparked the determination within me. This was me at 11, I’ve learnt a lot more since then having worked at The Walt Disney Company when I was 19/ 20, I realised it wasn't what I wanted and I wanted to make my own mark.


Anyway I still have my unbridled determination to do whatever I want to do, I’m yet to realise the full potential of what this can lead to but more than happy with the journey, therefore with all this insight it was clear what my creative stimulus was to build an advert for myself:



Number 1 – When you have a good day, don’t just settle for that. I never want to accept enough is enough from something, I believe there’s always more fun you can have.



Number 2 – Not doing things the way others always believe you should. You know what is best for you, go for that, let loose and enjoy the ride.






Taking these two principles into consideration of how I have been since I was a child and how I plan to continue to get what I want from life I developed the advert below to represent me:



The image represents the two sides of my personality, the fact that I will just say what the fuck, if I’m ever perceived as a goodie two shoes it probably is an act. The line refers to the fact that life is short and you should do whatever you want, even if that scare’s you as there’s no point settling for the status quo. It also refers to the determination of not wanting to just be average/ good at what you do…. Surely you should always try to be the best, so what if you fail, at least you tried.  

Categories:

Leave a Reply